Tuesday, October 15, 2019

dungeness crab ravioli

I needed some live clams to make fried taro cake so I drove across town to get some. Since I was at the fishmonger I thought it is such a shame if I took a drive to only buy one item. I decided to pick up a Dungeness crab too. I vaguely have the idea that I would make some ravioli using the meat harvest from it.
A couple of decades ago, I would never thought of making ravioli. There is hardly anything that I fancy I would not attempt now. Most great dishes can be made with the simplest of hand tools, and ravioli is also.

this pasta machine is worst every penny; I would use it to roll out the ravioli skin



this is the first time that I set out to harvest the meat, and not munching on them while doing so

I saved the tamale and I remember to steam it so it won't turn black in the fridge

I harvested a big bowl of crab meat enough to make ravioli for a huge party

I used two cup of semolina flour and two small eggs and water


this piece of dough will make many raviolis


I formulated the recipe as I go and the ingredients for the filling is as well

the crab meat filling consists of crab meat, tamale, chopped parsley, Parmesan and Romano cheese, ground black pepper, whipping cream, garlic granule, salt

this is just a small batch to test the seasoning, ingredients, and the sauce

I think this is my second time using this little cute cutter from Italy; it is a wonderful tool

I used water in lieu of egg to hold the ravioli casting together so they are a bit delicate

I actually have no plan as to what sauce to use up to till the ravioli has been nearly cooked. I happen to make a small batch of tomato sauce more than a week ago. I fetch it from the fridge hoping it is still good, and fortunately it is.

honest home made tomato sauce

the tomato base sauce goes really well rather than a cream based sauce which will be too heavy

just five pieces of ravioli make for a meal; the secret is to use a lot of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon

Once I tried out the test batch I decided the recipe is a winner. I went and make a bigger batch. The challenge is how to keep the ravioli for a few meals with minimal degradations.



this time I use one egg to glue the skins together

this is good batch size

they are quite delicate and require some flour dusting to keep them from sticking

I could not help but to have another serving of four, but then I had three more; so so good

the only way I can figure out to save them for another meal is to cook them and add generous amount of olive oil to keep them from sticking together

this is a serving with six raviolis that I made for breakfast the following day; it should be illegal to eat this well for so little


No comments:

Post a Comment