Friday, July 6, 2012

salmon sashimi 三文魚刺身

I wanted a bit of variety using up the Chinook salmon 三文魚  I brought back from the Columbia River Gorge. I am getting down to the last fillet. Last night I decided to make sashimi 刺身 for snack. The fillets are all quite small so it is a bit of work to cut the sashimi 刺身 and clean the finer bones.

It was absolutely worth the effort take to prepare it. It was as delicious as the great sushi I had in Tsukiji fish market 東京都中央卸売市場 in Tokyo, albeit only salmon. It is so creamy and full of umami, without a hind of fishiness. The soy sauce and wasabi  really enhance the very delicate salmon. Normally I don't eat salmon at sushi places in the US unless they clearly declare it is wild. I don't eat farmed salmon for many reasons.

just a snack - I ate 2 servings in one session and wanted more

Nothing was wasted. I saved the skin and the portions with more bone. I pan sear them and OMG, the skin with just very little meat is heavenly. If you like fried pig skin as snacks, you owe it to yourself trying pan seared salmon skin. It is much better and very good for you instead of very bad for you due to Omega 3. Salmon ranks top amongst all fish in the world.

I keep a small can of wasabi in my camper. I would make sashimi more in the future when I encounter fresh fish during a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment