Tuesday, March 5, 2013

lobster yellow rice - variations

I recently created the basic recipe of lobster yellow rice from scratch. It all started with the craving for a boldly flavored rice dish and some lobster meat on hand.

I have this 10 lb bag of Indian basmati rice (long grain aged) that has languished my pantry for 15 years. I had not even open it all this time and more than one occasion I nearly threw it into the trash thinking it must be no good or infested with insect. Recently I took a deep breath and open it. To my surprise the rice looks and smells just fine.


i have this bag 15 years!

When I was in college I have an Iranian friend and his brother. They are the nicest and yet wildest partiers in school. I have visited his parent's house in the country and his mother would cooked the most amazing rice dish for us. She always use a long grain rice mixed with wild rice (wild rice is actually not a rice). I know now that the rice she used is basmati rice or something very similar. The dish is somewhat akin to paella (rice cooked with many ingredients like chicken and seafood) except the rice is very fluffy. The burnt crust at the bottom is what everyone fights for. She always serve the dish with the best Greek yogurt. She also put slices of crusty fried potato on top.

I used short grain rice to make the lobster yellow rice last time. Inspired by my Iranian friend's mother's dish I realize the Indian basmati rice would be a much better choice.

I also made some adjustment to the recipe. Instead of using Japanese curry cube I use a small pinch yellow curry powder. I want just a hint of curry so not to overpower the delicate seafood tastes.

except at the beginning the rice dish is cooked mostly with a lid closed
I staged in the shellfish ingredients based on how long it take to cooked

the crab meat is at the front


this is another batch - this time without crab meat

 you can see the rice is light and fluffy - tongue swallowing delicious
This dish has become one of my favorite. I have to exercise self-control to not to eat too much. I always make enough for at least 2 meals.



No comments:

Post a Comment