Thursday, March 14, 2013

sturgeon steak


Sturgeon is one of the oldest fishes that survives till today. For some people seeing the appearance of this ancient creature is enough to foul the appetite if this fish is served.
image linked from Wikipedia

My supply of sea salt is getting low so I gave my Korean supermarket H-Mart a visit. Korean store is the best place to buy sea salt. A 7 kg bag cost under $20, depends on the quality. Koreans use a lot of sea salt for making kimchi and they are very specific about their salt. These days however you have to read the package label carefully. A lot of them may be labeled as "Packaged in Korea" but the salt is from China. I would not buy salt from China for the fear of heavy metal and pollutants. My  I looked thought many brands and most says "Packaged in Korea (salt from China)". The more expensive brands are labeled as "Product of Korea". My general distrust of food stuff from China is a topic of another post.
this brand is labeled "Product of Korea" - i split the 7kg bag with my friend

H-Mart has a seafood section. I always see what they have whenever I shop there hoping to see some uncommon fish. That day they have sturgeon and shark steaks. Sturgeon is very difficult to find so naturally my choice is sturgeon. Good shark is also not that easy to find but given the choice I would go for sturgeon any day. Better yet it is on sale.
seafood department in H-Mart
this steak is about 0.8 lb; it is common for the meat to look ashy grey; you can see the fats

just lightly salt and pepper it and fry in a iron skillet - it release a lot of good oil; the best is to fry it outdoors as I do as there is a lot of oil smoke
 i made a wasabi sauce of my invention; it is my favorite for fish steak dish
 i serve it with sauteed watercress
if you haven't try sturgeon it is like pork belly of the sea; the meat is never fishy and so too is the skin
 i only ate one half of the steak and save the other half for next day
Chinese has a saying about having eaten something good you go back to look for more "食過返尋味". Back to H-Mart 2 days later wanting to buy more Sturgeon. I called ahead to make sure they still have them and still on sale. I bought 3 thick steaks enough for 5 or 6 meals. Hay, you never know when you would come across Sturgeon again.
all the ingredients ready on my "hillbilly" outdoor kitchen
 i fried the fish steak clear away from the house
 this side is slightly too brown so it would be served as the bottom side
 wasabi sauce with yellowed chives; those are organic king mushroom on the side
sturgeon meat is very tender; it almost just melts in your mouth; i generally eat the skin too
because of the good amount of oil even a small piece of steak make you feel not hungry for hours

 another meal served with sauteed long beans and yellow rice

No comments:

Post a Comment