Sunday, August 21, 2016

bed cover for isolde


I managed to maintained the upholstery in Isolde in pristine condition after 27 years. The secret is a layer of sacrificial material over the factory fabric. In recent years the fabric on the bed cover deteriorated and I have been challenged as what to do. The cover is a old fashion sleeping bag that has been modified in circa 26 years ago. Today these old fashion sleeping bags are few and far in between. I entertained replacing the worn fabric while keeping the insulation core of the sleeping bag. The problem is the retail cost of the fabric would cost more than the sleeping bag.


Recently I spent a bit more time searching for this kind of sleeping bags online to no avail, until that I came across few in a local discount brick and mortar store. It turns out there are some still being manufactured and sold, if one knows where to look. While it is a good new that I can purchase a replacement, the problem is most of the fabric, color, and design are assaults to my aesthetic sensibility of what I deem in keeping with Isolde's astute decor.

While for real camping one would look for sleeping bags that are design to protect one's body from moisture or even rain water, these attributes are not desirable for use in a compact camper where water is not a problem. I want fabric that feels good in contact with skin and to this cotton is the top choice. Also the modern sleeping bags design has cuts that do not lend themselves for my application.

a typical modern sleeping bag with synthetic fabric that is uncomfortable to the skin
old fashion sleeping bag that is rectangle; this one does not have the right cover fabric and the insulation filling is thin and sub par consistency - because of the price point

The lengths that I went to find a perfect replacement sleeping bag has been a long journey and I really don't want to bore you with all the details. Cutting to the chase finalist that I narrowed down to is the Big Game model by Coleman. It has generous amount of insulation fill and the inside fabric is cotton with subdue geometric graphic design that does not assault my senses. It is also one of the few that has adequate length Isolde's beds. As the width is an unfolded sleeping bed it is naturally wider than the twin beds in Isolde. I might trim the excess width off when I have time.



No comments:

Post a Comment