Sunday, September 10, 2017

mini split air conditioners


Ever since the mini split air conditioners first became available in the United States I bought one small one for the bedroom and one medium one for use in the living room. This was in late 90s. I did not got around to install them in my previous house.

I finally installed them into my current house and I did the installations myself. The larger one for the living room is most difficult as it is mounted in an interior wall with 2"x4" framing. I managed to install it without exposed refrigerant lines, condensate drain line, and electrical wiring - a task even the professional cannot do but me. I took great pain to feed the refrigerant lines and the electrical supply from the roof, and the condensate drain line that is gravity feed to the outside of the house, all concealed within the 2x4 interior wall.

We have one of the hottest summer on record this year and late July and August I use the mini splits the most. I have always been an energy miser by taking advantage of cross ventilation to cool the house at night. The house general stay very cool. Only this year that I used the air conditioners more than any other and I was bracing for a big increase in electric bill for the July - August month.

I check the electric bills and delighted to find out the bill increased only about $6.15. It is amazing how efficient when you only cool the zone that you are in. The best thing about these mini split air conditioners is they are extremely quiet and do not move more air than is necessary for efficient cooling.


No comments:

Post a Comment