Thursday, February 14, 2019

chaoshan 潮汕 and vicinity food documentary series

I can never have enough of culinary shows, especially ones that are well made. Netflix just released a new Netflix Original documentary series - Flavorful Origins. Season 1 covers Chaoshan 潮汕 and vicinity (including Chiuchow 潮州) food even to me I discover so much I didn't know and how diverse and blessed the region is.

In all it is a very good documentary though at time the stylization of the closeups and slow motion can be a bit overboard. Here is the trailer



Each episode is only 11 minutes long but each pack a lot of information so if you blink you lose. I watched in Chinese with the remote in my hand and I had to constantly pause and rewind. It seems the reception on IMDB is rather poor, which I cannot understand why.

I am itching to go to Shantau 汕頭 and explore. For what I know now about Chinese regional cuisines, I would nominate Chaoshan as the foodies capital of China.

The more I survey and experience food cultures across the world, the more I found them different, and yet similar, with so much parallels.

Chinese cuisines are incredibly diverse. Chaoshan is just in a tiny North East corner of the Guangdong province (image credit Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment