Tuesday, May 7, 2019

the economy of a meal


I thought I would have some fun with the title. It is something that piqued my interest in preparing this dish. I splurged and bought some Alaska king crab legs and 3 pieces of halibut steaks from Costco. Both items I very seldom purchase especially halibut.

There are more than enough to prepare three meals with generous portions with these. I only had a vague idea how much they cost. I took photos of the third meal that I made with these two ingredients. There are enough king crab legs to serve four meals. For this dish the vegetable bedding takes the most work. The crab legs the least and the halibut is easy.


the crab legs just needed to be warmed up and I like steaming to preserve the flavors

the vegetable all diced and ready to be pan fried; the flour is to dust the halibut with

there is black pepper and salt mixed in with the flour; the flour dusted halibut is simply pan fried in a mixture of butter and ghee

I really like using a bit of Serrano pepper



once the vegetable is tender I added a little curry powder to give it some kick, follow with a bit of whipping cream so the potato starch would bind the bits together

the vegetable bedding is ready for the piece of halibut and crab legs



I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil onto the crab meat



here is the economy of the meal - each of this sumptuous meals cost around $20


The halibut steak is significant cheaper than fillets as most people don't like to deal with the bit of bones in the steak.




No comments:

Post a Comment