Wednesday, December 11, 2019

not a boring steak - part 2



I don't cook with a recipe. If I do is just a vague idea in the head as that I plot base on what I have on hand, and what I think would work. I shop ingredients for what look good and never rigidly for a dish that I have in mind. For this streak dish, I did shop for some root vegetable, a half pint of cream, and the steak. The rest are just what are on hand at home. A New York Steak with oyster demi-glace and scallops is born.


a piece of USDA Prime NY strip steak

I portioned the piece of steak down to a sensible size; the wild scallops came out of the freezer


wild sea scallops from the freezer


I saute this mixture of root vegetable and added a little bit of cream to help bind it together


I bought this ring while in Taiwan; it is for used to keep the root vegetable tidy for plating

the oysters are for to be cooked down with the goodness left in the pan after pan searing the steak and then the scallops, with a bit of red wine and dijon mustard



I didn't bother to pulverize the oysters in the demi-glace which would make a better presentation, but hay this is a home cooked meal without pretense and efficiency and taste are my priorities.


here is the second iteration of the dish; this time I adjusted the color of the demi-glace and added some green peas

bonus material - I just found out that I shouldn't keep my eggs outside the refrigerator which I just started to do, as I know in many other countries people do; why? because in this country the eggs have been damaged by the government to protect me from myself







No comments:

Post a Comment