Wednesday, June 14, 2023

still another mini split installation - part 2

The LG 12,000 BTU heat pump is finally on hand for me to finish the installation. It is the exact same model that I chose to install for the racetrack's office. It is one that will work down to extremely low ambient during the coldest of winter here.

I installed this one

there is more than meet the eyes that I planned to locate the outdoor unit squarely right under the window

I prefer to set it on concrete pedestal 12" off the ground

this is more than adequate back space

this is the corner of the wall that the IDU will be installed

this way it will condition the entire garage and keep the plumbing from freezing during winter

the precise location was determined by the locations of two studs that are 16" on center

I install these drywall anchors only for the bottom tabs of the bracket as they don't land on the studs; they don't carry any weight except to hold the bottom of the IDU in place

as the easiest way to route the refrigerant and drain lines is via the right hand side of the IDU, I planned the ODU location so they will drop straight vertically down to give a neat appearance outside



I am getting very good in installing these LG mini splits


I planned the relative locations of the IDU and ODU so the refrigerant lines will be a vertical run


I recycled this piece of packing foam sheet as insulation for the hole

next is to fabricate a custom length refrigerant line and make the flare fittings


the 240V 15A service connection is easy; it requires only three 14 AWG conductors

once I am happy with the lines the next step is to evacuate them before filling with refrigerant that is already in the ODU


this specialty evacuation fitting has more than paid for itself; I bought the cheapest one as I am a heck-a-pro installer and I can work with cheap quality tools

even the gauge set and vacuum pump are the cheapest money could buy

the metric open wrench set too is Harbor Freight cheapo



I couldn't get reliable wifi signal in the garage so I connect an access point in ad-hoc fashion



more packing foam to stuff in the void; a plastic trim cover would be installed to cover up the unsightly port

almost all tidy; I would remove the curve of the line set later

 
I had a bit of trouble enrolling the mini-split into the LG cloud service which I initially thought was due to weak wifi signal

I took out the curve on the vertical drop of the line set to make it look tidier

this is one I installed at the racetrack office; the line set run couldn't be made nicer looking due to the constraints 

I have been extremely pleased with all these LG mini splits. The office manager at the track loves the unit as well.

Despite the mini split can be networked with the existing weak wifi signal I decided to improve the wifi coverage of the garage by adding an access point since there is already a PoE network switch in there serving the two surveillance cameras. It is just mounting one and plug and play. I also mounted the surveillance camera covering the garage interior.

I transferred the mounting hole locations of the PoE switch and wifi AP this way to the wall as there is no room for error

this is adequately tidy for a garage for now

I ran an ethernet cable for this surveillance camera neatly above the LG IDU

the new LG mini split and the camera both installed and tidied up


this is a screen grab of the remote surveillance thru the cloud

When I am done, this would be the most connected ranch in the county. I am doing all these to prepare my overseas trips each year so I can have a peace of mind traveling.

here is a short video of the surveillance remote app



No comments:

Post a Comment