Friday, July 13, 2012

brunnhilde's new mirror

I have been wanting to replace the "lawyer" mirror with the "engineer" mirror on the passenger side. The stock mirror is useless for used in driving. I could extreme difficulty parallel park with it. Often I have to try 3 or 4 times parking because I could not see the rear wheel with respect to the curb. I eventually learnt to stand up so I could see the rear wheel. So much for this nonsense. I ordered the parabolic mirror online.

parabolic mirror has a vertical line


contacts for the mirror heating element at top

just slide out the old mirror and slide in the new one - easy as that

new mirror - you can see the entire garage door and more


old mirror - you could only see two of the 4 panels of the garage door

After installing the mirror, i went grocery shopping. I was able to parallel park in one try ended with the tires just 3" from the curb. I no longer need to stand up while backing up to see the rear wheel with respect to the curb. All the work to improve the rear and side visibility are finally complete. Executing parking maneuver use to be hazardous and frustrating now is a snap.

here is the part number to order


2 comments:

  1. You say "slide off the old one and slide in the new one".... but which way do you slide to remove the mirror, left, right, up or down? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dave,

    to remove the mirror insert:
    1) till the mirror so it points downwards as low as it would go. this allow the insert to slide out upwards
    2) you grab it by the top and pull upwards while wiggle sideways. it take quite a bit of persuasion. resist the urge to get something hard to ply from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete