Sunday, March 27, 2016

in good shape, isolde - part 9

This resumes from a previous post in good shape, isolde - part 8. As one of many items identified on the punch list resulted from the recent sea trial I today I spend a little time replacing the tired elastic band in Isolde's curtain at the sliding door windows.

The elastic band that I replaced once had deteriorated from UV exposure as well as being too weak to begin with. The two nylon rings at each end of the curtain bottom can no longer be secured to the buttons that secure them when under tension by the elastic band. I had purchase a length of the elastic band many years ago prepare for this replacement. Only today I finally got around to do the replacement.

this curtain has never been wash, though I always make sure my hands are clean when handling it

The curtain material used by Westfalia in Isolde is the best of any curtain fabric I have seen. It is most sun fade resistent, and the most timeless design. I have consider purchasing a complete spare set despite the high price tag. So far the entire curtain set is in excellent shape, but time has a way of creeping up on you, as the fabric wear slowly one may not realize it until one day you discover a tear begin to form.

I clamp one side of the curtain so I can use my left hand to spread open the seam and carefully sever the stitching without accidentally cutting the curtain fabric

this time I was more careful in shopping for a better quality and stronger elastic

with the stitching at both ends removed, the tendency is to pull out the old elastic; not so fast; i want to use the old elastic to pull the new elastic through which save a lot of needless waste of time to feed it

pull out my trusty toy sewing machine - it was one of the first household appliance that I bought

a few stitches and the new elastic is ready to be pulled through

I laid the curtain flat to make sure the elastic is not twisted - only perfection will do for splendid Isolde

next is to lay the nylon ring and fold the elastic into the curtain and sew it

i allow about 1.5" of fold overlap

Next I want to test the sewing machine for proper setting of the stitches. Good that I did the test as you can see the mess it made. I actually forgot how to thread the bobbin and have to resort to the instruction manual.

It turned out the problem is not the bobbin. The top thread that needs to be thread through the upper swinging arm had somehow slip out of the arm.

It is important not to over stitch to wear out (punching too many holes) the fabric for future restitching. I also took extra care in determining the how much tension to set the elastic. This step can only be done accurately with the curtain hung back up and test stretch it.

I clean out the tread stubs after both ends are stitched up to make it look professional

reinstallation is a snap

it now can be completely closed tightly

labor of love never ends


the old and tired elastic

the elastic for the front curtain support the weight of the curtain fabric over a large span; the elastic I replaced years ago is too weak for the task; it is quite hard to find a wider and good quality elastic

Isolde's air condition has been problematic ever since new. I have been wanting to do a thorough service including flushing the entire system and replacing all the o-rings. I have service and installed refrigeration systems myself and have live with an improvised vacuum pump that is an old refrigerator compressor to evacuate the refrigerant system. Now the prices of Chinese made vacuum pumps have drop significantly are are without reach of occasional DIYers. I am thinking of buy the 2-stage pump from Harbor Freight Tools. I have been skeptical of their claim that the 2-stage model is a real two stage. I decide to go find out.

the appearance is passable but there is not telling of the weakness of the construction inside with these fly-by-night Chinese manufacturers

So how can I verify it is indeed 2-stages? I know Harbor Freight generally is quite good with their product manuals to include a parts diagram and parts list. I have no illusion, however that never count on one being able to procure the replacement parts should the unit went south.

so I just check the manual's parts diagam and parts list


indeed there are two vane rotatory pumps; there are also a number of ball bearings which is good


I have seen scientific vacuum pumps in action, and they are very different and much more expensive from those used in HVAC applications. Here is a great resource on different types of vacuum pumps.


No comments:

Post a Comment