Friday, March 25, 2016

in good shape, isolde - part 8


This resumes from a previous post in good shape, isolde - part 7. I have been eagerly waiting for the arrival of the two kayak accessory mounting rail to complete Isolde's cup holder. It would turn out to become more than just a cup holder. I took the opportunity to create a tool bar system in which other accessories may be mounted.


It was not possible for me to choose one track over the other, because each is required to be used with each of the two alternative locations that I was unable to decide. Seeing the two tracks side by side and perform a handhold mockup at the two locations is the only way that I feel comfortable that I am making the optimal choice.

the narrower track is to be used to mount at the narrow steel surface of the dash front, while the wider track is to be used to mount onto the plastic heater/blower vent cover

I was planning to use the screw plates (the brass and stainless steel ones in the photo below).

However after seeing the tracks that I realize they will not work as there is no depth to accommodate the screw as it projects below the bottom plane of the screw plates.

I looked through my hardware fasteners trying to find something I could improvise to no avail


this washer nut looked promising but the lack of engagement range on the bolt will make the adjustment of the mount very unpleasant

What is needed for these tracks are T-bolts as they are designed to work with.

t-bolt 5/16" - 18 thread


I decided to drive over to Parkrose Hardware on the other side of town since I am due for a weekly grocery shopping trip at that side of town. Perfect! Going to Parkrose Hardware will certainly guarantees I would find the 5/16" t-bolt, so I thought. This hardware store has over 7000 items of fasteners, so there is no doubt I will come home with some.

I strolled in and started looking for it myself but I could not find any. I ask the fastener guy and I have to draw him a sketch what t-bolt I am looking for. He replied they don't carry them. I found it incredible. Unconvinced I went back to look for it myself, thinking since I have sketch to him what t-bolt I am looking for, he must not be all that knowledgeable of his inventory. Before long a younger staff walk by, and I patiently waited for him to finish helping another customer. I can tell he has been around a while so he should know. He immediately know what I am looking for and said they never sell them. I found it incredible and ask him why. It turned out while the store has over 7000 fastener items, they are sourced from only 2 suppliers. Neither suppliers handle this very very common t-bolts! Shocking, I thought, but I learnt something about the store that I have been so impressed with.

I decided to find something that I can improvise to work. It took me all but a few minute as I know the store quite well. There were many possible options, and I was quite thoughtful. Instead of looking for something with 5/16" bolt diameter, I know I am better off opt for 3/16". A 5/16" nut will be too big for the RAM diamond ball base that I re-purpose for what it is not designed for.

I bought 4 of these bolts that are used for assembling furniture. I actually have a lot of them at home but their are very long and have a length of shoulder without thread.

the flange like screw head can be filed down into a t-bolt; here shown with the cross section of the narrow track

here shown with the cross section of the wider track


the bolts are copper plated steel so it take a bit of work to grind them into elongated shape so that they won't turn in the track

as the narrow track is designed that one can top load the t-bolt the dimensional accuracy is more critical least they slip out


i have to enlarge the holes on the RAM diamond ball base to accommodate the 3/16" diameter bolt

first I try these two flange nuts but realize they are not optimum as the flange interferes with the RAM arm to be able to rotate into one of the 6 possible angles

while I can assemble the RAM arm onto the base the flange of the nuts prevent the arm from being set to all but two positions

I used two normal 3/16" nuts instead, and they just barely provide enough clearance for the arm to be rotated

the next question is which track to use?


here is how the wide rail will look when mounted onto the heater/blower vent cover - the wide track will draw too much attention in a sea of black

I agonize between mounting onto the steel surface of the dasher front, which is higher, or onto the lower surface of the heater/blower vent cover. They are about equal in terms of sturdiness. Ponder a little bit, I decided that the narrow rail will be more in harmony with the Vanagon decor and the silver anodize will benefit the little bit of silver nearby on the Alpine head unit's faceplate.

Before committing to mounting I perform handhold mockup in-situ to check for how well the track will serve for mounting a range of devices. I also want to find the lateral position for the rail as the track is only 16" long while the expense of the steel surface of the dash is significantly longer.




While the use of the track is very limited towards the driver side, due to the movement of the gear shift lever. Symmetry won so not to have a off balance appearance if I mount the track more offset towards the passenger side.

I seriously considered using 3M's VHB tape to fasten the rail onto the dash front. However my narrowest tape is 19mm which is too wide to fit onto the flat bottom surface of the rail. I decided to fasten it with just 3 small self-tapping screws.


the rail do clear the ignition override switch for the head unit nicely

note the screw stud on the right does interfere with the thumb wheel but I can cut it short

the cup holder set in this position does clear the gear shift lever as well as my leg - so I won't kick the bucket accidentally

here you can see better the distance to between my shin and the bucket of the cup holder; the gear shift is set in the reverse gear (right most and forward)

it was very wise that I look hard and found the single ball RAM base and adapted for this use; the short design gives the least of cantilever making it possible to accommodate the cup holder by the driver side

just an example of many possibilities


the cup holder has no problem supporting this 1 litre water bottle

As fittingly for an Westfalia, the entire design involved many struggle of a few millimeters of dimensional challenges. I managed to adapt a RAM mounting base that gives the least possible cantilever and saving some money as a side benefit.

this is the base that RAM designed for use with these tracks - but it has a much higher aspect ratio and cost a lot more; though is has a cleverly design that requires no tool to secure or remove

with the Nissan gen 2 thermal cup



No comments:

Post a Comment