Monday, December 17, 2018

airline serving cart as furniture - part 2


I have been wanting an airline serving trolley ever since I first saw them sold in Hong Kong 5 years ago. Upon returning home I checked on and off here but the prices had been sky high. Recently I have been thinking about traveling again and my desire for one.
The prices are much more reasonable and today mine arrived. Naturally it has no airworthiness certification. I have little doubt this is just a replica. It is tall and skinny as it is a half depth one. It certain would tip over should a big one hit the Pacific Northwest.

I saw these in Hong Kong being sold in an interior design store

while they have some with nice graphics I chose this simple white one

the trolley is just a flight of fancy; my plan use is to store liquor and wine inside

A very interesting feature that I initially didn't notice is the door. When open and fully swung to the left the door is held in place by built in magnet. Of course most people that have flown in a commercial plan knows the functions of the red and green foot paddles.

the purely form follows function aesthetics of the door latch was what immediately attracted me the first time I saw a serving trolley


it is just under 12 inch wide some even a light weight notebook is too wide to sit inside the top flat surface

the Thinkpad fits into the recessed surface sideways securely

the 13 inch MacBook Air straddles on top nearly flush with the side rails; the height of the trolley makes it a nice standing mobile kiosk if you need a minimalist work surface

just so happens that two trolley would fit side by side in the opening of the kitchen pantry; I am resisting the temptation of buying one more as having a pair in the entrance to the pantry reduces the utilities of the pantry

there is a drawer on the very top that is designed to hold dry ice to keep the cart content cold



It is so ironic that one would want a airline serving trolley for home furniture when commercial air flying in this era is more like hell rather than a pleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment