Friday, September 20, 2019

an improvised breakfast



I would be bored stiff if I were to have the same breakfast every day. I have no habit or routine, when it comes to meals. Breakfast is no different. I make dishes with the ingredients on hand, and sometime leftovers, or prepared ingredients from recent meals.
What to do for breakfast? I have a lot of options. Among them are braised beef shanks, which I can make a quick soup noodle; marinated chicken thigh meat that I can make a quick clay pot rice by pulling out some additional seafood ingredients from the freezer.

Today is different. I would have some toss salad made with the miso wasabi vinaigrette topped with a piece of mahi mahi left over from the dinner because a corner did not cook through. I would make a piece of scallion pancake too as I already have the kneaded dough and the fried scallion olive oil and spice mixture.

last night's dinner of curry crusted mahi mahi

fried scallion, olive oil, and spice mixture for scallion cake; it is to be folded into the flour dough and rolled out into a multilayer thin sheet

in 15 minutes a whole some breakfast is ready; I also put in some olives and goat cheese cubes

The common wisdom is fish must be as fresh as possible. Common wisdom is all too uncommon. You know I left the piece of leftover undercooked mahi mahi out on the kitchen table overnight rather than put it in the refrigerator. I didn't even cover it.

The passage of time does two things. The meat loses some moisture and the flavors concentrate. Also the meat goes through an aging process similar with aging steak. All I did was to refry the piece of fish with a bit of oil under low heat.

I often fry the scallion pancake now with coconut oil. For a very long time it reminds me of something familiar subconsciously. It only dawn on me when I was watching a street food episode and saw roti. My puffy and light scallion pancake is very similar to the texture of very good roti.



No comments:

Post a Comment