Thursday, April 23, 2020

brunnhilde's starting battery - part 2


I eventually got around to replace the starting battery that has been threatening to leave me stranded. The cost of recovering a stranded Brunnhilde easily exceeds the cost of a new AGM battery. I didn't do it right away as it takes some work and muscle.

The battery this size is heavy and thankfully they have built-in handles. I was not totally at ease with the handles holding up on this 10 years old one. It is nice there are a set so some redundancy should one fails.

To make the job easier I disconnected the cables and tied them out of the way to allow the removal of the old and placing of the new.



As I was doing this at the recently becomes mine ranch not everything was handy. Where is the can of WD40 when I needed it. I gave the rusted hold down bracket bolts with a dab of ATF oil hoping they will not break when I unfasten them. There are one each for the two brackets.

Mercedes engineers have no notion what corrosion and accumulation of organic matters are

it is so nice to have a huge space that I don't have to worry about putting things away to protect my nice stuff from lowlives' prying eyes

the batteries has comparable specs - the old one is 10 years


I had always keep it tendered whenever Brunnhilde is park; it is possible that it was in poor condition when I acquired it


and here is Bruhhnilde's little sister Isolde

almost like a photoshoot out of an African safari


the splendid Isolde; sleeping in her at night gives me the joys and excitement of a kid in a treehouse




2 comments:

  1. Did you replace the battery tray? I think I'll put a coat of POR-15 on mine next time I replace the battery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. I don't think the tray is replaceable without cutting and welding. It is not that bad really. Just surface rust. I didn't have time nor the material to put a coat of rust paint on it as I am still dealing with the move. Are you still in New Zealand?

      Delete