Monday, July 12, 2021

brunnhilde's digital thermostat - part 5

The 110Vac version of the temperature controller took a long time to arrive, because Amazon bundled a few of my other orders into one shipment to save shipping cost. I was full of anticipation not knowing if the algorithm in the AC version would be the same as the 12Vdc one that I blew up. This one is actually an older design and not branded as Ink Bird. I chose this unknown brand to save over 18%!While the difference is mere $3 in price between the two. I like to think of percentage difference and 18% is nothing to sneeze at.
 

a lot of goodies in the shipment

I actually bought an AC and a DC powered each

the new AC powered one (left) and the 12V Ink Bird (right) I blew up

Taking no chances I did a quick bench test to perform cursory check and most important it functions with 120Vac. I also make sure there is no conductivity between the AC power inputs and the relay contacts. Unlike the Ink Bird newer design the parameters are a bit clunky as it uses F1, F2, F3, and F4 rather than the abbreviated name of the parameter that can be displayed with the segmented displays.

Also there is no option to select Celsius and Fahrenheit. I was a bit disappointed but it turned out there is a silver lining. The temperature set point and dead band of the newer Ink Bird are 1 degree C or 3 degree F. This one however supports 0.1 degree C. Normally I prefer F with HVAC. For human body comfort one degree C change is quite large.

I wired up the newly made custom faceplate making all the connections can be detached so the panel may be removed for modification if desired


everything just work the first time; and thankfully the controller remember the previous power state when power is removed and then restored

I set the target temperature to 26 C and let the A/C run in 95F outdoor ambient in full sun. Such high set point cannot be achieved with the old  mechanical thermostat. Between the digital control, the NTC thermistor sensor, the variable blower speed I achieve much better temperature regulation, set point range, and can run the blower at any speed. Also the controller displays the actual temperature the sensor sees. 





No comments:

Post a Comment