Thursday, December 8, 2022

fancying for a plush truck - part 2


Finally I received the delivery in October. I had only taken it for a short test drive in the scenic roads and a trip into town to have the snow tires mounted onto the dedicated set of wheels. The barn project is keeping me busy as I have been solo DIY since late May 2020.
This is my first pickup truck and it should serve my needs of occasional towing, and a lot of grocery shopping in town as now I am hundreds of miles from reasonable size cities. A comfortable and safe ride with excellent fuel economy are very high in my priorities of choosing the Ultimate.




this is the most luxurious ride that I've ever had


it comes with 50 series tires on 22" wheels and you cannot change them in the configurator to more reasonable 20" 60 series

there are many silly options all rolled into the Ultimate; IMO the audio systems including the overhyped Bose are crap - worst than my pessimistic expectation


installing a tri-fold tonneau cover


it has some quality issues that I don't want to risk being "fixed" at the dealership

while the 60 series snow tires should have nearly identical diameter it is slightly larger in actuality


I am surprised to see the aluminum alloy upper a-arm and upright

I didn't want any tire shop to mess with it so I mounted the new wheels myself

I chose the new wheels myself and I checked the offsets and width carefully against the stock and they are within 5mm of each other; diameters are 20" vs 22" stock

wheels and snow tires from Costco; these are the most understated wheels I could find and yet the cheapest and light




the 3.0 I6 Duramax diesel engine is extremely quiet and delivers excellent MPG of near 30

idling by a totally silent forest road


No comments:

Post a Comment