Saturday, December 17, 2022

LG multi-zone mini split heat pump - part 1


This is a job that I would not trust any professional HVAC people to select, design, and install. I want a cost effective way to heat and cool the cavernous barn. Unlike one for the main house it is designed to be undersized to make the place more comfortable while work is being done especially in cold winter.




hauled them home with a flatbed trailer


a carefully chosen location for the ODU

for the largest ODU I selected the splitting is done via an indoor distribution box

building a pedestal for the ODU with cement blocks and mortar

the pedestal is built

I had never use this kind of flaring tool before; I only need it for the 3/4" tube as my cheap set does not go that big



it turns out properly mounting this distribution box is more challenging that first appears

my cheap flaring tool set

I procured this excellent drain line made in Japan




better workmanship than most HVAC pros

due to routing constraints and cost, as well as different line diameters between the units I had to use these connectors (adapters)

I don't want any expose refrigerant lines nor cables so they all go behind the vapor barrier

The prices of line sets varies greatly and none are cheap. I purchased 2 spools of 50 feet, which I could cut into 4 sets of different lengths. The lengths turned out to be perfect with not one foot too long or too short.



wiring between each IDU and the distribution box




I managed to figure out a way to mount the distribution box hidden in the insulation and behind the vapor barrier



all counted, there are 32 flare joints in the system installation so the chance of leak goes up exponentially 


I am most displeased with this set of made in USA cold drawn 3/4" and 3/8" line set that I was forced to buy; it is the garbage that are used in the installation of typical central forced air heat pump like Rheem and Trane

I wasted a lot of time fighting this cheap shit "USA made" (likely sliding China made copper tubing into China made water pipe foam insulation and put in Proudly Made In USA carton box) refrigerant line set because they are cold drawn (low production cost) copper rather than annealed like the other sets I bought; and the liquid line does not have any insulation so I had to improvise one



there is just enough space between the steel columns and the siding to feed the lines between the bays

No comments:

Post a Comment