Wednesday, April 19, 2023

another mini split installation

I bought many HVAC tools and quantities of consumables for the multi-zone mini split heat pump that I installed in the barn. It would be such a waste for a one time use. I proposed to my home track owners that I would donate my time and skills to install one for only the cost of the material, with some free ones from my collection. As tokens of my contribution they give me a few free track days. A win-win proposal they couldn't refuse. We are like a family which motorsport is our share passion.


the installation is for the small check-in office

I needed to find an optimum place for the 12,000 BTU outdoor unit

we shifted the ice maker to the right to make room for the LG outdoor unit; it is perfect as it faces North so sheltered from the summer sun

the cheapest way to buy the refrigerant lines is buy the longest one and cut to length

With my experience installing a 4 zone multi-zone system this single zone system is a walk in the park. The difficulty is good planning, in shopping, and identifying all the tools I would need as it is a remote installation. I set out to do the installation in one trip without the need to run off to buy something because of my lack of planning. Just like a military campaign logistics means success or failure.



the location for the IDU is the void of a previous POS air conditioner that had long failed and decommissioned; I even brought insulation with me


I did a vacuum pull down to evacuate any water vapor

I used a piece of 1/4" plywood that I bought to to cover the old cavity

they a one day event of cycle cart

the ODU installed

the IDU installed


I pushed myself to get the installation working passed dusk. Everything checked out and there was no leak. I conducted the function test in heat pump mode, and then let the system ran overnight. The mission was a resounding success. The only thing I neglected to bring was a metric hex wrench to open up the refrigerant valves. 



This is a really nice system with excellent value. I plan to buy two for my ranch's buildings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment