Friday, April 7, 2023

authentic hong kong style chow mein

Out of all the noodles I had tried in the greater Portland area there is only one that I consider good for making authentic traditional Hong Kong tea restaurant style chow mein (a style of fried noodles).This particular style of chow mein in which the noodles is wok fried with just the right amount of oil to create a slightly crunchy crust. The noodles then is then plated and topped with a savory stir fried meat topping with just the right amount of thicken sauce.

Mr. Kon's used to be nearby my home in Portland, Oregon and while it is a manufacturer of noodles of many kind, I used to stop by there to buy noodles in big quantity at lower than retail prices. When I went back there this time they have moved and I have no idea where to. Fortunately I know where I could get this particular noodles.

While grocery stores around town offers hundreds to thousands kinds of Asian noodles I found most are plain crap. It is so hard to find decent noodles that I am very tempted to start making many kinds myself.

there are two patties in each package of Mr. Kon's stir fry noodles, hence yields two separate prepared big servings; this photo was taken during preparation of another dish


for this round I use chicken thigh by deboning them

When it comes to chicken I only buy bone-in chicken thigh now as I dislike the rest of the bred for most breast meat North American chickens. If you ever taste what Asian chickens are like you would understand. I love wings too but the rise of it being a snack of choice for all major sports events make them outrageously expensive, especially the middle wing.

the bones are used to stew the shiitake mushrooms; the preparation of the mushrooms is in itself a preparation recipe


very rarely now I have these two ingredients on hand

with one of the two noodle patties it results in this big serving good for two meals; I used up half of the prepared ingredients and saved the other half for another batch

Most people who attempt this dish has no idea the noodles need to be blench in boiling water first before being wok fried.



it is so good and authentic as the Hong Kong tea restaurants would serve before the internet age


this is another cooking session using the second noodle patty 

short of exercising portion control discipline I can demolish the whole batch in one meal


No comments:

Post a Comment