Tuesday, April 4, 2023

happiness is more optics - part 1

 

I have been wanting a stereo microscope a long time. I've done looking for a decent one on Craigslist and electronics surplus stores over the years to no success. I missed a chance of scoring a free used one at work one time. My use for one typically is for working with small SMD electronic components, for build, repair, or modification.

When I first came across these China made ones I was quite skeptical at first. As with most of electronics and tools from China the same merchandises are sold under different brands, variations, and at different venues. Once you spend some time figuring the similar features and variations you can make informed purchase decision and not overpay.

I bought this slightly damaged box one shipped and sold by Amazon to save some money; once opened there is no evidence that this was an opened box return; only the shipping carton is roughed up

the package is very heavy and it is not surprising the styrofoam at the bottom didn't fair well as there are the heavy cast iron base and counter weights


the optics is very light protected is a separate styrofoam sandwich assembly

the instruction shipped has no resemblance to this specific model especially the stand so one just have to figure it out without one


while everything is designed to be most cost effective to manufactured and shipped I was readily impressed

the counter-balance arm slides on a set of linear bearing so is really smooth

next comes the optics and I was very worry they will be crap


I bought the LED ring lights separately and it is the cheapest I could find, but they are all the same even if you pay twice the price; this one is brilliant with excellent dimming capability



I spent slight more and bought the top end model with the trinocular port in case I want to be able to take a photo or video; the entry level camera costs half the price of the microscope so I am not ready to buy one


before this microscope I relied on eye loops and magnifiers






it came with this bulky and awkward plastic dust cover; I would rather have a small one that just cover the microscope head


No comments:

Post a Comment