Wednesday, July 26, 2023

LG multi-zone mini split heat pump - part 3


Winter seems so far away when you are in the mid of summer. I dislike working in the sun and I know I would regret for not getting more done before the winter comes. The nasty old man will soon at the gate of the ranch threaten to destroy a lot of stuff that I worked hard for. It is time to plan ahead as a rancher worths his salt.
One thing that I was trying to avoid to to purchase the very over-priced pan heater for the LG multi-zone mini split heat pump for the barn. But my experience during the deep freeze in the first winter told me I cannot avoid the investment and work. I ordered the pan heater in the winter but I wasn't going to attempt to install it until the weather gets warmer. I planned to install it in the spring but getting my cars ready for track occupied my time. There are also countless other projects with higher priorities.

Today towards sunset I decided it is as good as any based on how the sun clocks around this time of the year towards dusk. I have a bout 3 hours of shade to get this done so I set out to install it. A wistful thinking on my part thinking I could get away without taking off just about every cover panels of the outdoor unit.

I attempted to only remove the lower fan grill but that was a gross wistful thinking

The installation instruction is not the best as the heater covers many models so the instruction is very generic rather than model specific.

it turned out I had to remove all panels except the rear grill


and I had to loosen the fan mounts at the base so I could slip the heating element under the brackets

and the hold down clips locations are not what the installation manual shown

but I got them figured out



while having the unit open I noted the locations of the drain holes




they give you the label to add to the existing ones to document the configuration of the outdoor unit

The pan heater is to mitigate icing of the condensate before it leaves the bottom of the ODU during extremely low outdoor ambient and especially windy condition. It consumes not much power, and I infer is switched on as required.

No comments:

Post a Comment