Monday, August 9, 2021

she gave me a heart attack - Isolde had no pulse - part 3



I know my vehicles really well as I do all the services and repairs. While I knew I pin-point diagnosed the recent engine failed to turn over, there is something in the mind that something can still go wrong. Taking a 6 hours round trip into town is not something to be taken willy nilly. A few months ago I notice there had been slight loss of engine coolant. I did visually witness some wetness on the ground immediate below the water pump, and I replenished the small amount of coolant lost.

The entire cooling system, including all the hoses as well as the water pump in Isolde are all original, except the plastic OE expansion tank broke a seam and I replaced it with an aftermarket equivalent. All the hoses are in remarkably good shape. I figure may be the seal in the water pump has harden from disuse and hence a small amount of weeping. I kept an eye on the coolant level after each long trip and the amount lost is quite consistent. I bought an aftermarket pump and carry with me just in case.

I didn't want to just jump in and replace the water pump. My thought is may be the seal just need to work a little after the cold winter to regain the flexibility. I am a true subscriber of "if something ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to serving just about anything including my body.

After chasing down the failed capacitor in the ECU I took a trip into town to go shopping as well as tending to another project of mine. Isolde purred and drive nicely and she brought back a full payload of grocery and more stuff from the old house. 

Isolde brought back a full vanful of cargo loaded to the brim

The trip requires a long steep climb at low speed, which is the most taxing on the drivetrain and the coolant system. I came home and remember to check the coolant level in the reservoir after the trip. The level remained nearly no change. While the level cannot be identical as the ambient differences must be taken into consideration due to the very lager coolant capacity of the rear engine configuratioin.

this is one of the two plastic coolant container; this one serves as an overflow tank while the other as the true expansion tank

At this time, I have no plan to do anything with the coolant system, but will continue to be vigilant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment