Saturday, December 17, 2022

LG multi-zone mini split heat pump - part 2


My initial vacuum test purge was not good. I could not pull much of a vacuum and soon I realized I have many flare joint leaks despite I took time and care to make and tighten them. How I hunted down and corrected all of them is too complex for me to spend time to write.




one of many challenges is the IDU is outside of the vapor barrier while all the lines are behind


three of the four IDUs shown




pressure test for leak and then nitrogen purge


as most of the special tools and equipment are one time use I bought the lowest cost ones that can still do the job





only after fixing all the leaks and satisfied that the lines are free of water vapor that I open the service valves to release the refrigerant into the refrigerant loops

the valve core extractor tools are must have

next is to wire up the ODU

I left the cover open to monitor the status indicators

the moment of truth - powering up the system for the very first time

while each IDU comes with a wireless remote control, I would never need to use them again once I realize the IDUs has built in wifi 

the maximum current draw with the ODU running at full capacity and all 4 IDUs on


there is even an wifi status indicator


time to replace all the insulation



moment just before the automatic defrost cycle

after the defrost cycle

the phone app allows me to monitor and control the system anywhere there is internet or cellular service

the snowflake and water drop symbol indicates the system is in defrost cycle; additionally the air flap tills up so not to blow cold air towards the occupants; typical American central air heat pump is like stone age men warming by wood fire in comparison



 I can control any functions as well as on/off from within the house without the need to trek 150 feet to the barn in winter. I can also pre-heat the space in advance if I plan on working in the barn. The IDUs are whisper quiet with the blower fan set to maximum and each unit consumes less than 0.5A. There is no need for supplemental circulation fans to keep the barn interior temperature quite even despite the area and volume.

Most important, the app allows me to monitor the instantaneous temperature at each IDU even when they are switched off. I would only need to switch on the heat pump when the temperature begins to approach freezing if the James Cook motorhome have not been winterized.

I had the heat pump system up and running barely in time for the big snow storm


No comments:

Post a Comment