Sunday, August 13, 2023

home made oyster sauce

I have always been very dissatisfied with store bought oyster sauce. The best ones I've ever tasted was during my youth and only in Cantonese wonton soup noodle shops. They are specialty oyster sauce not sold to the public except the trade. I had put up with store bought subpar oyster sauce for decades, and finally I decided the only way to get good ones is to make my own.

I don't need any recipe as it is very intuitive for me. It is all about using real ingredients, reduction and concentrate.
I don't believe in throwing money for a solution. I want to have great result but not breaking the bank. The cost must be reasonable. To this I knew getting the oysters from Costco is the best deal.

I purchased this 2 lb jar of fresh oysters from Costco

I simmer them at low heat with garlic, ginger, and a lot of chopped onions




After a few hours the stew reduced and concentrated. Up until now I have not season the stew.


I did a taste test by mixing in some dark soy sauce; the umami is so intense and there is real oyster flavor

I used the blender to pulverize the stew

I tend seasoned the mixture with this dark soy sauce

there is enough suspending solid in the sauce so I didn't need to add thickener like corn starch

Two pounds of oyster yield a lot of sauce with intense oyster flavor. I ended up with two large glass jars of it. I worry about they go bad even in the fridge unless I reboil them from time to time, as there is no additive added.

this is one of many dishes made with a few dashes of oyster sauce






No comments:

Post a Comment