Tuesday, October 31, 2023

brunnhilde's broken sway bar bracket

I was at the track camping out. I noticed a small area of wetness under the camper though I was sure it was just condensation from the overnight dew. I crawled down under the van and check just to be sure. All was good.
I then noticed something not right about the rear sway bar. The passenger side bracket had broken off. There was nothing to be done until I return home for a closer inspection as what are damaged and parts needed to rectify the problem.

I had no idea when did the failure occur. It could had been months or years, and it is a rather unsettling thing to discover as in turns and downhill winding roads, I tend to be faster than most other vehicles, even with car trailer in tow. I drove home carefully that return trip.

With Brunnhilde safely parked inside the barn, I crawl under the chassis to take stock of what all the parts needed to repair it.
the rubber bushing is also long gone in addition to the hold down bracket that has broken off 

there is also a flat support plate which is not easy to see

the driver side is good


For the Westfalia James Cook built on the T1N Sprinter chassis this is a known common failure, due to the very high aspect ratio of the motorhome, and Westfalia right decision not to use a dually rear axle for this compact motorhome.


here you can see the flat supporting plate


I could not find online the flat supporting plate anywhere. Since both sides are still good I went ahead and order two rubber bushings, and two hold down brackets. I ordered them from Europarts-SD. Much better than dealing typically obnoxious dealers' parts department.

No comments:

Post a Comment