Tuesday, October 31, 2023

fancying for an overlander

It was one of those impulse purchase that I made. Impulse purchase can be very good if you had done the research beforehand and act on it when the opportunity presents itself by chance. I had made numerous big impulse purchases including the two most recent properties. I had looked into the Mitsubishi Fuso Canter 4x4 diesel truck a few years ago, casually and I learnt of their rarity in North America. It is now even more so as Daimler Truck cease to import all Mitsubishi Fuso trucks about 5 years ago a few years after stop selling the diesel and 4x4 models.
I took Mini to Portland International Airport to catch a one way flight to Colorado Springs to pick up this 2017 Fuso Canter FG4x4 that is an abandoned overlander project. It is virtually new with under 1000 miles after all these years. The poor Mini would be abandoned at he airport for close to a week before I would be able to hitch a ride into town to retrieve it.
I hate American hotels, so I found a budget one for the one night stay before picking up the Fuso Canter and drive straight back home

even the choices of edible meal around the hotel is few

I settle for this not so good Korean restaurant

the truck was at the big Porsche dealership

😍😆


seeing one in person is rather striking of how big it is

the habitat box is all empty inside so it is a blank canvas for me design and "upfitting"




stopped at Costco near Loveland to get some new wiper blades and I was glad I did; I ran into the snow storm that dump the season first snow in the Cascades while driving back through Wyoming; semi tractors were trashing left and right but I kept my cool

in Eastern Oregon rest stop

the Blue Mountain in Eastern Oregon had the snow the day before

I stop by a WDOT weight station to weigh the rig so I have the baseline numbers

after a thousand miles of early winer driving it is a dirty butt near home; I couldn't wait to pressure wash it clean of deicing chemical from the road

the big boy fit through the front gate with a lot of clearance 


no problem also fitting through the inner gate

From the time I found this rig to when I was committed to the purchase took 3 hours that morning. I knew the value of this truck in this condition plus all the off-road exploration add-ons already invested. They are all high end choices and I rather to do the build myself over some poor design and execution.

elephant and mouse


No comments:

Post a Comment