Wednesday, November 15, 2023

fancying for an overlander - part 2

After about 1200 miles driving the truck back from Colorado Springs through early winter snow storm in Wyoming it needs a good wash badly. I want to wash off any deicing chemical they might had put on the road.
The Fuso Canta FG4x4 had only 827 miles when I picked up from the Porsche dealer in COS. The check engine light was on when I left but I dismissed it as most likely due to silly maintenance reminders have not been set.

as I literally stole the truck I wasn't going to argue and the person I deal with was a stand in that doesn't know anything about the rig

Time to bring out the pressure washer that I fixed two months ago.

this is the first most expensive equipment with a Honda engine I bought decades ago

I didn't bother to give the rig a shampoo; just a spray down

the front axle

the super single conversion for the rear wheels

the same rims are used at the front by flipping them

It is important to point out both the front and rear wheels are on the same track.


the habitat box sits on it's own articulating subframe

after market off road hyperbolic leaf springs

the front axle

the factory sticker is still on the windshield

the adhesive residue of the delivery sticker is still visible

the weight of the spare tire is so much that it stayed put through the 1200 mile journey despite the bouncy ride of the truck

this door is provisioned for the cab crawl through

 


The habitat box is made in Germany with top of the line windows and skylight from the Netherlands.

there is a sizable partition at the front of the box, most likely intended for the bathroom

all the door hardware are high end European



the front differential is open driver by a transfer case

the rear has a limited slip differential

a 16.5 ton winch is mounted on the one-off custom made front bumper/light bar/roof rack

this rig is as pristine as new


I plan to improve the aerodynamic of the roof rack


33 gallon fuel tank; I plan to double the capacity

it fits nicely though any of the12' W x 14' H garage doors with only a foot of clearance height wise

When I built the barn, I didn't plan for an expedition camper though I thought I want to leave the option open for a larger motorhome.

I gave my neighbor a ride around the local gravel roads. The truck went into a limp mode and triggered the real check engine light in red after it tried to do the DPF regeneration.

I pull out the generic ODB reader from the James Cook to see what the DTCs are

the real check engine light is the one in red

I feared I had work and challenge cut out for me to try fix this one myself as I know so little about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment