Wednesday, November 15, 2023

brunnhilde's broken sway bar bracket - part 2

The parts I ordered to repair the broken right side RSB arrived. I order a spare side in case I need another one down the road. I thought install them would be a cakewalk, with 30 minute max. I could not be more wrong.

I thought I would just need these few things
 

it turns out the parking brake cable and the brake hydraulic lines are in the way of getting to the bolts of the bracket

I cannot describe the complex way the RSB brackets are designed to fasten; only German engineers are capable of designing one utilizing a simple damper support bracket of the axle

I document the rear differential ratio while I was down there

the bracket had failed long ago without I realize it judging from the corrosion at the break

after a lot of struggle and threading the bolts with care I managed to get it done


I didn't feel safe lying under a 4 ton vehicle even having a sudden deflation of a tire is very unlikely; in retrospect I should had place a couple of jack stands front of the rear wheels just in case, even though I didn't work under a jacked up vehicle.


No comments:

Post a Comment