Thursday, November 23, 2023

fancying for an overlander - part 3


In preparation for investigating the cause of the limp mode and red check engine light I did some research to see which low cost diagnostic code reader to buy. I selected FCAR F506 Heavy Duty Truck Scanner. The same scanner is sold at huge range of prices from $120 to $495 at FCAR USA's online store.

I wasn't just going to wait until the scanner shows up a week later from Amazon to begin my attempt to fix it. I looked up the three DTCs that I already able to obtain. They all point to trouble with the diesel particulate filter system problem.


The three DTC read with my generic code reader are:

P24C7 Particulate Matter Sensor Temperature Circuit Range/Performance has been detected

P24AE Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit has been detected

P2463 Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot Accumulation


I suspect all three DTC are all due to one cause. The most troubling is P2463, which could mean a badly plugged DPF due to misuse and not allowing the DPF regeneration to take care of the particulate before they become so bad that the filter is too clogged for regen to clean it. That will require replacing the very costly DPF. Per online figures, it can cost between $1000 to $10000 USD. Not good.

Since I was not able to initiate parked regen, I fear for the worst. But I begun my online research. There is next to no information on the web as there are very few diesel Fuso Canter FG4x4 ever sold in the US. Most commercial operators shied away from diesel as soon as BluTech engine was introduced and oped for gasoline RWD only trucks.

At last I found a obscure post on Cummings Diesel Forum of a tech posted the steps he took after contacting Fuso Truck of America and paid a day worth of diagnostic access. While it involve a sequence of tedious steps I infer all it is is to let the engine and exhaust warm up to high temperature by letting the truck idle for a long time, before attempt to initiate the parked regeneration. I didn't follow his exact prescribe durations, and switching off the ignition, back on, etc. I figure the secret lies in the engine management block out attempt to start park regen when the temperature is too low.

That worked. I was able to initiate parked regen after letting the engine idle about 25 minutes in rather low ambient.

parked regen at 1,500 RPM


parked regen filmed at the exhaust pipe


By the time the FCAR DTC scanner arrived I already fixed the check engine light limp mode. But it is a scanner I would carry in the Canter all the time.






To be sure I had the DPF induced limp mode fixed I went for a long drive on the local logging roads. The roads were muddy due to recent rain. All is well but the poor truck came home looking like it just done mud wrestling with an Isuzu Elf.

 


on a long drive in hot weather this mud covering the heat shield of the DEF injector could spell trouble

this short trip on muddy roads shows the importance of proper wheel fenders and mud guards, which are in my construction plan







the pressure washer washed off most of the mud in no time



 


No comments:

Post a Comment