Saturday, May 18, 2013

cheap and good pepper mill - hack

I have been using a cast metal pepper mill from France for a long time. It looks great but it does not grind that well. I have been wanting to buy a Peugeot for a long time but could not bring myself to pay the high price here in the US. Finally I came across one at good price in Vancouver BC. It grinds very well.


When the Costco sea salt mill ran out of salt, I tried to refill it with bulk sea salt. It has a ceramic grinding burr. Refilling was a bit of struggle as the mill was designed to be disposable. I have to twist the adjustment cap quite hard to overcome the detent. I had to use a needle nose pler and it worked.

 close up of the plastic adjustment cap
A lot of pepper mills for sale are crap. Why buy them when you can recycle one? I am trying to use up the salt right now. I want to refill it with black pepper. I will just cut a small port on the plastic container to make it easy. The opening will then be covered up with foil tape used for HVAC duct. It can contain so much pepper corn it would only need refill once many months.

No comments:

Post a Comment