Monday, July 26, 2021

brunnhilde's ventilation fan - part 3


It is time to cut the foam board for the bath skylight ventilation fan. I bought this piece of 1/4" foam board many years ago and it has served me well in many projects. Some pieces has been reused a number of times, and this piece is no exception. I used it to insulate the big skylight in Brunnhilde against solar gain before I painted the outer shell white. Double pane clear skylight is stupid in my book. Dometic actually makes skylights that are white but of course on one buy them.


I used this prototype one cut out of a cardboard as a rough template since the dimensions were tested to be secure and easy to use

Foam board seems to be such flimsy thing that most people use them for a one time event like exhibits, or protest signs, but in reality it is very versatile and structurally strong for its weight. When I first use it in a ventilation fan in Isolde I received a lot of mockeries on the Vanagon forum. 

creating a tidy cut round hole is the challenge and it took some care and patience


the quality of the hole affects the smoothness of the air stream

all I do is just screw the fan with the four tiny screws it comes with to the foam board

I might just keep this for future use 

it sure looks nicer than the repurposed cardboard from the house fan box

I paused to think if the fan would be best mounted on top or bottom, and decided this is best for noise and efficiency


I now plan to add a programmable temperature controller so it will automatically cycle on and off like the  one I made for the side awning windows.

this one for the side awning windows has programmable temperature controller; the water stain is a testament it stood up to occasion rain storm quite well


No comments:

Post a Comment