Saturday, July 22, 2023

more infrastructure improvements - part 3


A person is defined by the tools he has. With the East wall outlets installed and the floor washed, I decided to set up the electronics work station utilizing a good section of the wall that is sheltered from the before noon sun. Since its dismantling for moving from Portland to the ranch it has been sitting disassembled for 3 years now. How it all come back together gets fussy the longer they sits.
I only have a very vague memory of how the bench is assembled. I scratched my head on many pieces that do not seem to make sense.



One challenge is to determine the height of the working surface as it is all adjustable in 30mm increments. While it is adjustable there is tradeoffs as in the end of the day I want the vertical space perfectly distributed to the table top and to maximize the space between the two shelves. The optimum desk height is dictated by the chair height and the length of my legs to be as comfortable as possible for prolong work. The chair is one designed for work bench like this. Hence the desk height is 33" rather than the typical 29".


I deliberately placed the bottom cross piece low enough that I can comfortably rest my feet on it should I choose to


I would place a oil filled radiant heater behind it in winter time when the slab is quite cold

while it has two shelves, I had never install the second one until now

the Feit 48" LED light strip from Costco provide excellent lighting


I had to make sure there is enough headroom for the microscope

before going further in the assembling I sat down and made sure the desk height is perfect WRT the chair


I started to shuttling in boxes of electronics parts from the house with dolly



it would turned out the shelve is set too high - because at working height I can see the shop light  LED tube; I wanted to lower the shelf with the light fixture to easy eye strain

it turned out the perfect lowered height still leave plenty of headroom for the microscope

next I proceed to check the head room of the bottom shelf from the top; I was hoping to have enough space fo the tall parts bin



still more boxes of electronics



the parts bin just fit but the weight put too much torque for the shelf that is only support in the middle; this cause the shelf to slope down towards the back





the wall mouont test lead organizer is the best way to store them

The work station has two surfaces on the sides that pivot about the vertical posts. They are handy for equipment that could be swung inward only when needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment