Tuesday, July 18, 2023

more infrastructure improvements

I never appreciate the need for a personal weather station until I moved out into the country. In a city all one needs are outdoor and indoor thermometer and indoor humidity sensor. Living in the country one needs to be more in tune with the weather including precipitations, sun, moon, cloud, storm, and wind. I'd never thought much of the Acu-rite weather station until I experience with one. It came with the property from the previous owners. The only thing I want to change is the location of the outdoor unit.
The outdoor unit was mounted on a pole about 6 feet off the ground on the side of the front yard. While it is at a relative open space the wind it exposed to is heavily influenced by the structure and the trees around it. I was especially unhappy with the wind directions it sees. I finally decided to relocate it where there is clean air.

I have been taking advantage of the inner gate's great height in mounting a surveillance camera. I decided to mount the weather station outdoor unit up on the top. While it is powered by four AA batteries they last around 2 years. Mounting it that high requires climbing up there to replace the batteries. I might modify it later to have the batteries accessible at ground level.


Having using the Acu-rite for three years now I come to appreciate how well it was designed and made. The wireless outdoor station could communicate with the indoor unit up to 300 feet. The anemometer seems to top out at around 30 mph. I would prefer it capable of 60 mph.

I took care to align it to the true north and level so not to degrade the accuracy of the wind direction sensor

important for the anemometer to be installed at where there is clean air

I have been testing a outdoor wifi access point at the gate. I decided it is a keeper so time to move it to the top of the gate for permanent installation. At greater height I hope it would increase the outdoor area it covers.

the eye level height location was just for initial testing of the access point


I need to pull one more ethernet cable through the in-ground conduit to serve the access point

 

No comments:

Post a Comment