Saturday, July 22, 2023

steak au poivre - part 2

While I made this dish a couple months ago, I didn't have green pepper corns nor Cognac. I went onto Amazon and ordered 2 cans of green pepper corns in brine. I also have a bottle of Hennessy. I gave this dish a go again without trying hard to make sure I have the other ingredients like reduced beef stock. I knew I can improvise and work around this minor detail.

there are enough pepper corns in this little can to make may be 6 to 8 servings


there is tons of coarsely crushed black pepper corns pressed into the steak



I pan seared the steak on both sides and then finish cooking it in the air-frying as a conviction oven.

saute onion and garlic for the sauce


I prepared some carrots simmered in herds, with Chinese celery and some sugar and salt. Most people don't know adding a little sugar really brings out the shine of the carrots. I otherwise dislike sugar in most cooking but this is the exception.

In place of beef stock I used a bit of miso which is a great substitute.



the steak was perfectly medium rare, and the sauce is rich and heavenly; the hint of sweet from the carrots is a great balance to this briny dish



very coarsely crushed pepper corns

the pepper corns are pressed in hard into the steak so they don't fall off while being seared; this is a half cut of a piece of ribeye

another meal this time I add a little al dente spaghetti noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment