Sunday, November 26, 2023

design and construction of an expedition camper - part 3


When I took possession of the Fuso Canter at the Porsche dealership I didn't expect to see the insect screen and black out blind for every window and skylight were messed up. I knew there was no point trying to straighten them there. I said to the person doing the sales paperwork that these are not designed for Americans. I would investigate when I get home. I wasn't optimistic I could repair them as they look like they had been abused or sabotaged. 
The outer pane of one of the window is shattered but the pieces are still holding together. I recently made a call to the US distributor for the window to enquire about what parts are available. These windows are around $1300 plus shipping from the Netherlands and has long lead-time. It turns out I can order just the window pane assembly without buying the whole window. The rollers are also available as replacement assemblies. 

These are some photo of the messed up rollers.







I was not looking forward to dig into the rollers to investigate how they function, and if at all they could be salvaged. I removed the first screen roller first. The side that provides retracting force has no spring tension at all as if the spring mechanism was broken inside the roller. As I till the roller for a better look, the shaft slipped inside and disappeared. I decided to work on other stuff and set it aside.


Today I decided to try to get inside the roller and see what is going on inside. I tried to unscrew the end cap to no avail. Then I tried just to pull the cap straight out, and I could see some give. I wiggled it a bit while pulling and it came out. It is very well made and designed to engage and lock with the extruded aluminum roller.


it is a very clever design; with the spring screwed and locks onto the end cap

because someone clueless mess with the rollers all the springs had became unscrewed; with the spring separated from the end cap there is nothing to prevent the shaft from sliding into the roller and disappears

once I realize what happened to the first I investigated, I pinned my hope that they all suffered from the same cause

from what I found out the blackout blind should be on the bottom while the screen on top; someone swapped they positions on all the windows and skylight







I would later infer the cause of the outer pane to break was excessive heat buildup from having the black out blind fully close as well as the window; the user instruction warns against this practice. You are advised to always leave a bit of screen when the window is fully close to prevent extreme temperature rise from solar gain. These windows are supposed to be quite strong from willful attempt to break it.


after a few window I gained proficiency; knowing how many turns to wind up the screen and the blackout blind


I had all the windows fixed. Next I tackled the skylight. There are two gas struts for the big skylight but the hinge bracket for one has separated from the window pane. Again I now know that it failed because of excessive heat build up from the misuse of the roller blind.


the flat surface of the hinge unglued from the glass pane

the adhesive looks like transparent polyurethane or epoxy

this is the first time I am able to get up onto the roof; it is long fall down







the roof surface is immense for at least 1000W of solar panels

this is how you are supposed to leave a bit of screen to prevent extreme heat build up

Because of the gas strut you can leave the window open at any angle and it will stay put. Further, the locking latch not just latches the window closed, but you can also lock it open about a centimeter for ventilation.

With so many great windows and skylights (one ventilation fan in the toilet) and all white vehicle color, the need for air conditioning will be very rare except the most unrelenting heat spells. 


So the only thing I need to procure is the double glass pane to replace the broken one. I can use the appropriate adhesive to repair the separated strut bracket.

I decide to remove the spare wheel from inside the habitat box with the aid of some diesel muscle


No comments:

Post a Comment