Thursday, November 30, 2023

design and construction of an expedition camper - part 4

There are two gas struts supporting the big roof window when open. The hinge bracket on one had delaminated at the glue interface to the glass pane, evidently due to excessive heat build up with the window and blackout blind fully closed. To repair it involving finding an adhesive that will work well with two perfectly flat surfaces, will cure hard, and will not creep, as well as standing up to extreme temperature range. I reckon it would be characteristics of a modern structure adhesive.

 I want to spend as little as possible to get it fixed, and fixed properly. I decided both epoxy or a good polyurethane adhesive should work. I didn't just use any dime store generic five minute epoxy. My trusted 30 year old cans of 2-part epoxy had turned deep red but is free. I decided to look for a polyurethane adhesive and I found the Original Gorilla Glue in mini dispensers for just $6.99 for 4 packs. It is clear and moisture cure. Almost sound too good to be true given the €1256 + shipping cost of the roof window.
the window operates just fine with only one strut but two will five it the needed redundancy and resistant to sudden violent wind

the glue arrived so I set out to work

I was surprised by the hardness of the original adhesive

the chisel angle of the razor blade did a perfect job of removing the hard adhesive without marring the aluminum but requires a lot of force with steady hands

scrapping the adhesive off the glass side was easy due to the hardness of the glass

while they warn you not to apply too much one tends to use more on the safe side; I use packing tape to prevent the bracket from sliding off position while the glue cured


the next morning I couldn't wait to see if the adhesive works

with such generous gluing surface the joint should be strong enough - till the glass failure


with the roof window left open the rig is higher than the garage door's 14 feet opening so this is one thing I must never do

on the top of the roof






I have been searching for the major components for the build ever since I brought the Canter home, even though some I will not be able to get to installing them long time from now. I want to start procuring them as often the products I selected can become EOL or ceases to be available in the US or shipped to US. For some I am compiling a virtual photo sketch book. I would even begin to procure cookwares or things like coffee hand grinder.
the generic diesel hydronic heating system schematic



source for HD pullout drawer for many use


Korean mini clothes washer

6" compact powered roof extractor
I immediately fell in love with this high end marine cooker and I search high and low on the web to get one


after a lot of work I ordered one from Germany that will ship globally; only they cancelled my order informing me they cannot ship to USA; this is typical experience dealing with German merchants

the closest one is this by Dometic but it had long been discontinued

hydronic heater by Eparspacher




hydronic heat exchanger for harvesting engine heat

calorifier for making hot water from hydronic heat

expansion for the hydronic boiler


quik trak aluminum back floor board



I was at Ikea so I took a quick look in the kitchen section

this flip up cabinet arm will be too long

their drawers are essential like the ones by Blum

I decided their sinks are too pricy and too big and ill fitting for my needs

I was actually there to pick up foam mattress before they are gone

also comforter and duvet cover and pillow case



No comments:

Post a Comment