Saturday, December 2, 2023

design and construction of an expedition camper - part 6

I install a seat cover for the driver side, after vacuum the cab really well.











My closest Fuso truck service shop is 3 hours drive. I went to pick up the driver side reflector for the step that took a month to arrive to them. The general manager has been most friendly to talk to. I think I talked to him on the phone circa 3 years ago in looking for a Canter 4x4 and that was the time I realize how desirable but rare they are in the US. At the time I only had a passing interest and not all that serious. However that conversation prepared me when this rig presented itself and I didn't hesitate to seize on the opportunity.

I didn't notice my driver side reflector on the step has a small chip until I arrive home days later from Colorado.

I suspected the truck had never been in any shop for the factory recall, so I asked if he can look up with the VIN. Sure enough he said there are three, so I asked what they are.

  1. Rocker arms recall - the arms of some build dates had tooling problem and can cause the arms to break, or wear prematurely. They cannot track the exact affected batch so the recall cover a big uild date range.
  2. Oil drain tube - they didn't explain all that well as they point to a box of part and said that is it. All I could understand is it is the lubrication oil for the turbo, and it is the oil existing the turbo.
  3. ECU update - I don't think they know exactly what are the fixes. I think this is likely my experience with some persistent proprietary Fuso DTCs that show up in the drivetrain control module that will return after I cleared them.
I did some google searches but the hits are all over the place covering many unrelated models and year range. I also went to NHTSA for recall lookup, and as we can expect, they are never of any help.

I think this is the oil drain tube on one of the recall



typical US government "we are here to help"


my FCAR code reader can't provide any useful information what these codes mean

These codes cause the engine trouble light to illuminate, but not the real CEL that changes color depends upon the seriousness level.




The dealer is always booked months out for their service. Since I won't be driving my Canter much I will wait until spring to schedule the recall services.

as my trims adjacent to the headlights are marred but not broken (likely from test fitting the custom made tilt bumper) I bought these Chinese made from from Ali Express for a song










No comments:

Post a Comment