Monday, December 19, 2022

brunnhilde's brake service - part 1

 



I took an unplanned road trip to Upstate New York to bring home a Lotus race car. Returning home while inspecting the tires which two had problems and had been replaced. I needed to make a decision if a complete replacement of the entire set or just buy 2 new ones. I took the opportunity to inspect the front brakes thinking they are likely more worn than the rear ones.

I would be quite surprised after all this mileage they are in very good condition despite the towing and cross country trips.












I would decide that the best course of action is to replace the entire set, while saving one wheel as spare, and keep one good tire

I didn't replace the pads nor the rotors but just verified that I bought the correct ones



On the way to Costco I noticed subtle metal to metal grinding sound when brake is applied lightly. I immediately suspected a rear pad had worn down to the backing plate. I would proved to be right.



I had to reach in to take the photo with the phone to see the outer pads as they would not allow customer in the workshop

I could definitively see the left side has worn down to the backing plate

So I ordered a set of rear rotors and a set of disc pads. I took a chance that the parking brake drum shoes should be in very good condition. As it is so involving to jack up and inspect them I just went with my hunch. 

1 comment:

  1. There should be no wear at all on the parking brake shoes. Depending on the amount of rust you have they can be damaged slightly when removing the "hat." This will not affect their performance -- unless the rusted return springs break. If you are otherwise going to be stranded you could have these on hand just in case. Does not apply for you as you can just take the Lotus!

    ReplyDelete