Sunday, December 18, 2022

brunnhilde's fresh water level sensor failure - part 3

When I discovered the new replacement of the water level sensor has one less step, I wanted to rebuilt the old one that failed many years ago. However as always I had to find the dissected piece parts and that was not easy since I moved from the city to the country. With tenacity I found them after turning the house upside down literally. I set out to rebuild one with improved design that will last longer than even the "new and improved" stainless steel tube. In my view, the stainless version is in fact worst than the original one with plastic tube because of the use of a cheesy plastic plug at the submerged end.

I ordered two kinds of latching reed switches from Digitkey hoping one will work; one SMT and the other through hole

the original one used glass tube reed switch with an external magnet; due to moisture intrusion the glass tubes failed at the two conductors



the key to the rebuild was procuring the right composite tubing which I managed



with careful measurement of the water tank I deliberately make the sensing tube slightly longer so to shift the readings to give me earlier warning before impending empty





I used epoxy and fiberglass to seal the bottom end which is better than the original construction

micro balloons allowed me to control the viscosity of the epoxy


my rebuild is slightly longer

I saved the stainless steel version as a spare for rainy day; my rebuild is designed to be easily serviceable as I didn't pot the PCB in any encasing compound

a simple and effective plywood wrench


it has been 1 1/2 year now that the rebuild sensor is in service and it is holding


No comments:

Post a Comment