Wednesday, December 21, 2022

brunnhilde's propane level gauge

Very long ago, I installed a Suburban water heater with electronic ignition which allows me to switch on/off at will without the need to go outside to light the pilot light, and turn it on. To complete making the propane system the next step is to install a remote propane level gauge in the cabin so I don't need to go outside, open the propane tank protective cover and visually check the level.

It took me this long as it is more involving than it seems. Running the wires is the most difficult due to the location of the exhaust system, as well as making it rodent proof. I have the gauge assembly all made up long ago and only today I invest a few hours doing the installation.


I bought this USA made propane gauge off eBay

perform bench test to make sure it is compatible with the propane level sender

I wired up a momentary on/off switch so the gauge only consume power when I want to read it

feeding the two conductor wire to the underbelly


one of the most difficult step is to add the rodent proof cable sheath after laying the right length of cable

ready to connect to the propane level sender

mounting the gauge in the closet is equally difficult due to the tight quarter



perform functional test; I chose this location as it does not sacrifice any storage space nor bastardize the cabin cabinetry; there is also 12Vdc to be tapped

all the wires tidied up

I always aim to design the lowest cost implementations without sacrifice the end result. I already have the steel gauge mounting cup. I only need to invest on the gauge which cost is $15 shipped. I already have the wires switch, and 3/8" cable sheath.

No comments:

Post a Comment