Monday, December 19, 2022

brunnhilde's power window - part 2

 

The left hand side of Brunnhilde's power window regulator failed 10 years ago and I repaired it better than new. I had since anticipate the right hand side one too to fail, only a matter of time rather than if it would. During the unplanned trip to Upstate New York this July it failed while on this cross country trip. Like always, the window glass dropped to the bottom. That is a major security risk. I open the door card, raised the glass and use a piece of cable tie to hold the regulator lift mechanism up. A fix would had to wait until I return to the ranch.

I wasn't looking forward to the repair as it involves cutting and welding. I bought a manual regulator for the right hand side long ago expecting this inevitability. Since my first repair 10 years ago, now you can buy a bronze glider on eBay that is purpose made to fix this design and manufacture failure. But I opt to stick with my own solution.


















the entire process turned out to be a breeze as this is the second time around; I simplified a couple of steps including painting the weld spot this time without dedicating a one-time-use brush


No comments:

Post a Comment