Friday, August 3, 2012

james cook enhancements - part 4

While I been taking Tatyana on short camping trips quite frequent lately, I would compile a list of enhancements as I conceived of the idea which often came from new found needs. Here are a few more recent ideas either implemented or being prototyped.

The top-load refrigerator  came with 2 wire basket. This one did not come with any insert or container but just a bare wire frame "basket". I searched my kitchen for trays that would fit and here is the result.

nice aluminum trays I bought in Tokyo, and a corning glass tray fit like gloves



you simply cannot find aluminum this beautiful in the united states
for water sports i often has a need to hang up a wet wetsuit to air dry - why not use the shower arm holder?

my initial idea is to use a champagne cork but I didn't have one handy so I made a peg out of a dowel

use with a clothes hanger

or hand the wetsuit directly on it

i sewed this a long time ago, originally for used in my vw vanagon camper - it is made with rough cotton fabric used for the inner cover of futons; i put duct tape on the trim and panel to protect them from chafing

more solar gain reduction - i found this silver foil mat intended for lining tatami for $3 a roll
i cut this one for the big picture window on the driver side
it does a better job in reducing solar gain than the silver factory roller blind because it is more reflective

the two sun roofs has the biggest solar gain. i cut a piece of sandwiched foam board from arts supply to support the foil mat

the foam board just sit on a ledge around the frame of the large sun roof supporting the foil mat above it - the assembly is removable so all the functions of the sunroof are retained

placing a piece of foil mat under the small sunroof is more difficult due to the irregular shape of the inside - i made this temporary mockup out of cardboard to test out the function; the foil mat is between the cardboard and the polycarbonate lens of the sunroof

I really want to shield the excess sunlight from the bath sunroof, as UV is very harmful everything in the bathroom.

While I didn't conduct a vigorous before/after comparison I could tell significant difference after the vehicle sat in the sun all day.




No comments:

Post a Comment