Sunday, October 28, 2012

steel coatrack

I have been wanting an upright coatrack a very long time. To my amazement it is impossible to find an acceptable one that looks good and functional here in the US.

I decided to make my own. I want one that can hold many jackets or coats. It must be stable. I set out to design a simple one that has the form follows function attributes.


The design is very simple. The main skeleton is 1" angle iron. I decided on 3 legs for stability and clean look. There are 6 pegs made from rebar scraps. All the steel needed for the project came from my stash of metal at home.

it was a bit of a struggle to keep the angles uniform (enough to pass the casual eyes) without using jig

After welding I ground the weld joints and deburr the cut ends. I then treated the surface with acid.


No comments:

Post a Comment