Monday, February 18, 2013

falling trees

I live in a neighborhood with good amount of established trees. The air here is much better than my previous house as well as the tranquil mornings and nights. I have 3 sweet gum trees in my lot and two are getting very tall. They situated in the northeast corner of the lot. In the winter we often have very big east winds due to the Columbia River Gorge's venturi effect. There were many times that I was worry sick when traveling aboard during the winter afraid one of them would fall onto the house.
The sweet gum tree is one of the few trees that bring more nuisance than benefits. They produce huge amount of spiky seed pods. The leaves are the last to fall so you end up with big and heavy heaps of wet leaves during the rainy winter days here.

With passing years they get taller. I finally decide to spent the money to remove them before they get more costly to remove years down the road. The smaller one in the side yard also must go. I simply had enough of sweet gum trees. In my previous house my neighbor has one and I was the one who suffer as the bulk of the leaves and seed pods always landed onto my driveway due to the big East winds we get here.

In total they cut down 4 trees. Included is also a very old and sick plum tree.

these two sweet gum trees at the northeast corner of the lot - the tall one looks to be 60 feet tall
 the longer I wait the more expensive they get
choosing a branch to place the hoisting rope is key - I watched the whole process with intense interest
it is not wise for average home owner to try this dangerous job - this is one of the few things I would pay a professional to do
 it is all too easy to underestimate the weight of the branches


I have so much firewood that I gave half to my neighbor

I now have an excuse to buy a good wood splitting axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment