Tuesday, March 5, 2013

bourbons

In the rare occasions I do enjoy a shot or two of liquor. However bourbon is not something I would choose in the past. In my travels to the Asia I notice the ever increase ubiquity of bourbons in bars all over Asian countries. Whiskey and brandy have long history of popularity in the East. Bourbon is the more recent addition starting with the fall of the Soviet Union and later the economic opening of China. In China the most ubiquitous bourbon is the standard issued Jim Bean. It is very pricey due to heavy import duty. Many Kentucky bourbon makers now are enjoying the fruits of export windfalls.


Recently I came across the 7-year bottle of Old Ezra bourbon. It is quite reasonably priced at $15.99. It turned out to be quite smooth and I told my friend about it. He also bought one. In addition he also bought a Evan Williams 100 proof ($14.99). I was over at his place for dinner a few days ago and after dinner we try them side by side.

For both of us we could tell little difference between the two. Upon a few more sips we agree the Old Ezra has a very slight harsh edge that adds to character. It is amazing often that the pricing of wine and liquor is so well commensurate to the quality.

Yesterday in my shopping trip I too pick up a bottle of Evan Williams 100 proof. Next to it is this 11 year bottle for a lot more money (around $24). For the sake of education I decide to buy it too. That night I pour them side by side for comparison.
11-year Evan Williams (fancy bottle at left); 7-year Old Ezra (center); Evan Williams 100 proof (right)
Well, I was expecting the 11-year Evan Williams to blow away the cheaper bottles. It is certainly smooth, perhaps too smooth. It has around 42% alcohol instead of 50% on the cheaper bottles. It tastes sweet but has little character to me. Upon a few more side by side sips I still dislike it. You just can't judge a book by its cover or a bottle of liquor by its fancy packaging...

Still between the two cheaper bottles they are very very close. One barely notice the slight extra harsh edge (in a good way) with the Old Ezra 7-year.
goes nice with/after a shot of espresso

No comments:

Post a Comment