Tuesday, March 26, 2013

signs of spring - part 2

Ever since the buds on the plum tree emerged I have been checking them daily full of anticipation of the arriving spring. We have a few days of dry spell though the temperature has just turned colder again and there are days of winds and drizzles.






I was hanging the shade sail in my backyard and I disrupted a small bush in the raised planter. in the corner of my eyes I saw something small leaped. I followed the location where it landed and I found this tiny frog about one inch. I have heard their call in the last few winters and one even made it inside my house's atrium but I could never locate it. They are very shy and as soon as you approach the location of the cry they immediate cease. I finally see one of these critter first hand.
because it is day time it didn't escape but you can see in the video below it struggled to obscure itself on the branch

little frog - i have no idea if this is native to here in Oregon but there are now many in my neighborhood base on the call that I can hear
Update 10:41 am, Mar 26 - I did a bit of research of native frogs of Oregon and it seems it match the Pacific tree frog on this Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife site.
Fun fact: Pacific treefrogs are often heard on movie soundtracks. You may hear them sing in the spring! I want to go record a sound track when they sing and add to the video clip above.
scrubbed the cedar deck like the sailors - I now avoid using the pressure washer as scrubbing with a stiff brush do a better job without damaging the wood

more and more flowers have been blooming in the past few days and now they are all in bloom
 night scene in the yard





1 comment:

  1. I thought you said you used to sand decks as a kid with coconut shell. A little sanding would do it wonders

    ReplyDelete