Wednesday, April 10, 2013

smoked game hen

 
When I go shopping at time I would see these little frozen birds called game hen. I had never cook with it and very curious what it taste like. I chance upon some for only $2.79 each at my local Winco supermarket. At this bargain price it is a nobrainer to give it a try.

When I was in China recently I had begger chicken 叫化雞 for the first time. Begger chicken 叫化雞 should always be made with very young chicken. It is one of the most delicious chicken in my book. The chicken is seasoned in herb and spice and is then warped in lotus leave and then a layer of clay and cooked in a fire. The clay seals in the juice and flavor. Some day I would test my skill on it.
Wondering if the game hen's small size would be as delicious as Asian chickens without the big breast, I decided to make smoked game hen.
the game hen is about 2 1/2 pounds
 it turned out game hen is really just a very young chicken; contrary to the name there is nothing "game" about this chicken; i seasoned it with salt and pepper and leave it in the refrigerator over night
 
 it took about 1 hour to smoke it under indirect low fire in my weber charcoal barbeque
like they say, if it looks like a chicken it tastes like a chicken
I ate it all in one setting. It is a big meal. The meat is quite gender and even it was frozen it didn't lose much flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment