Thursday, June 20, 2013

a new dish is born

I was down to scrapping the barrel as the old timers would say with what I have left in the refrigerator to cook with. Just some week-old vegetable and a tiny piece of pork belly that is also less than prime.

I needed to be creative to make a meal. I have the last bit of yellow chive, and also few stalks of Asian chive which begins to smell rotten. Well if it was years ago I would have thrown it away but I am wiser now. I know the rotten smell of chive is normal and all I have to do is to pick out the slimy leaves and then wash them.

two kinds of chives
What about the tiny piece of pork belly? It is just over an ounce. I then think of the slice of bacon that I can add to the pork belly. A new dish is born - I called it double-double.
I wanted to stir fry the dish with minced garlic and fermented soy bean. To add a bit of heat I sliced up a Thai chilli pepper.
all the ingredients ready to be stir-fried
 a bit of fish sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce for seasoning
 less than 2 minutes under high heat and a delicious dish is born
For another meal I stir fried pork, yellow chive, and spring bamboo shoot.


No comments:

Post a Comment